Thursday, March 5, 2009

We Begin

Today I wove.

And you should too.

Why?

Because it forces you to use a part of your brain rusting since you put down your crayolas. For those of us who lack hand eye coordination, small motor skills and an affinity for detail - the skills you need to, say, clean the dark spaces between your keyboard rows with a toothpick every few years - it's a tango lesson for that part of the brain.

When you're done with your session, just two hours later, you have something to show for it that's original and can be used in real life. I am now using my thingie as a covering on my Zen bench.

And there's the sacred soothingness about being in a room filled with colored yarn and thread of every possible hue with your feet on the pedals of a primitive machine, going through the motions - literally - of ancient generations.

Consider doing it with friends. I did it with two mad genius women, Marta and Jane, and they were lightyears ahead of me in every possible way including helping me to feel good about my feeble creation. They made me feel especially clever about incorporating strands of random sequins in the warp - or is it weft?

As soon as I figure out how to use my digital camera, I will take a picture of it and paste it here.
In the meantime, think about visiting http://www.loopoftheloom.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment